August 09, 2009

Saturday Night at the Symphony



Last night I was invited to join some very nice people to watch a performance of Carmina Burana by the Pacific Symphony at Irvine Amphitheater. The fun thing about seeing a performance here is that people come early and set up tables, chairs, mats and blankets, and enjoy picnics while guest musicians play in the background. Last night it was the Orange County Wind Ensemble. The weather was cool, with a slight breeze, and everyone was having a great time.



The first portion of the concert included a performance by Yeol Eum Son, Van Cliburn Competition silver medalist, piano.



She made me very happy when she played one of my favorite pieces of all time, Rachmaninoff Rhapsody on a Theme of Paganini (from the movie, "Somewhere in Time") She was fantastic and the audience showed their appreciation with a very long standing ovation.



The second portion was the symphony performance of Carmina Burana, conducted by Carl St. Clair (I just love saying that name).


Everyone seemed to have a great time, and the night was ended by a fireworks display.




(Sorry the pictures aren't better. I wanted to travel light, so I used my iPhone.)

Good seats, good company, great performers, and the best part of all...I didn't have to drive.

B

No comments: